This collection contains reservation and information requests and carbon copy or rough draft replies about accommodations and meals at the Colonial Hotel in Williamsburg, Virginia. It also includes business and financial correspondence concerning the Colonial Hotel. Most replies unsigned, but Mrs. Mary A. Johnston was the manager during 1929 and 1930. There are miscellaneous cards, envelopes, brochures and notepaper.
It includes a brochure from the New York Hippodrome for the week of 11/3/1913, original deed from P.F. and Maggie B. Conway to W.W. Robertson for property in Danville, Virginia, 5 issues of the Virginia Gazette and 2 issues of William and Mary Flat Hat.
Both Accessions came from the same source in Danville, Virginia.
Built in 1895, The Colonial Hotel, or Colonial Inn, was located where Chowning's Tavern was reconstructed. Williamsburg Restoration purchased it and renamed it the "Williamsburg Inn." It operated under that name until the new Williamsburg Inn was built in 1933.
2006.68 purchased by Special Collections, included 69 items;
2007.76, included 60 items, a gift from Wilford Kale via WHRA. Both collections came from the same source in Danville, Virginia.