Legal documents concerning the estate of Philip Johnson of Williamsburg and James City County, Virginia. Investiture of Bruton Parish, James City County land to Philip Johnson to eventually become part of the City of Williamsburg at the Court of St. James, dated November 1763. Chancery lawsuit, 1791, written to the Honorable George Wythe Judge of the High Court of Chancery, concerning a trust agreement made in 1769 with Peyton Randolph, Lewis Burwell, Robert Carter Nicholson, and Philip Whitehead Claiborne as trustees for land and goods of Philip Johnson. Names of slaves and their purchasers are mentioned in one document.
Children of Philip Johnson include Elizabeth (Hill), James Bray, Rebecca (William Nowell), William, Sarah (Lester), James and Catherine. Philip’s first wife was Elizabeth Bray and his second wife was Martha, last name unknown.