The Library Science Department at the College of William and Mary was established in 1931, after the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools established standards for secondary school libraries. Dr. Earl Gregg Swem, for whom the library is named after, served as the first chair of the department, from 1931 to 1935. More information about the department is available at http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/Library_Science. Further information about this individual or organization may be available in the Special Collections Research Center Wiki: http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/Dept. of Library Science.