Shortly after women entered the College in 1918, the Department of Physical Education separated into two departments for men and women. The departments were responsible for classes, as well as the athletic and recreational programs according to their respective sex. There was little separation between athletics and academics, and faculty both taught classes as well as coach the athletic teams. The Men's and Women's Physical Education Departments were merged into one department in 1983. The merger of the two departments completed the separation between physical education, athletics, and recreational sports. The department was changed to the Department of Kinesiology in 1992. Further information about this individual or organization may be available in the Special Collections Research Center Wiki: http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/Dept. of Physical Education.