Blisland Parish was established prior to October 1653. The lower church (Hickory Neck) was built between 1734 and 1738 and added onto in 1774. It was adapted for use as a military hospital during the American Revolution. Hickory Neck Church was not mentioned in the vestry minutes after 1780. Thereafter the church building fell into disrepair. It was used as a school and changes were made to the building in 1825 and 1915. It was used for worship by various denominations. Hickory Neck was re-consecrated as an Episcopal Church in 1917. Formally renamed All Saints in 1953, but returned to being named Hickory Neck in 1972. Further information about this individual or organization may be available in the Special Collections Research Center Wiki: http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/Hickory Neck Church (James City County, Va.).
Martha W. McCartney, Hickory Neck Church in Blisland Parish, Toano, Virginia (Toano, Va.: Hickory Neck Church Historical Committee), 1992.