A. Edwin Kendrew was born in Canada and moved to Boston, Massachusetts in 1917. As a member of the Boston architectural firm of Perry, Shaw & Hepburn he became the head draftsman for the Colonial Williamsburg work, then headed the Colonial Williamsburg architecture department. Later, as vice president, he was also put in charge of construction, maintenance and landscaping. He was named resident architect in 1934. In 1937, he was asked to develop a master plan for the future development of the restoration project that was approved by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. From 1946 to 1947 he worked with John D. Rockefeller III, then board chairman, on a new plan for visitor orientation and interpretation. Further information about this individual or organization may be available in the Special Collections Research Center Wiki: http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/A. Edwin Kendrew.