The office of the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences strives to meet the needs of individual departments and programs; promotes excellence across Arts & Sciences as a whole; and represents the priorities of Arts & Sciences to the larger university community and to such external constituencies as parents, alumni, and grant-funding agencies.
In 1905, the Dean of the Faculty was created with John Lesslie Hall, Professor of English and History from 1888-1928, as its first Dean from 1905-1920 and 1922-1928. At this time, William and Mary also had a Dean of the College that looked after the affairs of the faculty with Kremer J. Hoke Professor of Education from 1920-1944, as its Dean from 1922-1934. In 1938, the Dean of the College was renamed to Dean of the Faculty with James Wilkinson Miller, Professor of Philosophy from 1935-1955, as its Dean from 1938-1946.
In 1951, when Nelson Marshall, Professor of Biology from 1949-1951, resigned as Dean of the College, the Office of the Dean of the Faculty was reestablished and replaced the duties of the Dean of the College. James Wilkinson Miller, Professor of Philosophy from 1935-1955, served as the new Dean of the Faculty from 1951-1952. Charles Marsh, Professor of Economics and Business Administration from 1930-1958, was the next Dean of the Faculty and served from 1952-1958. From 1958-1964, W. Melville Jones, Professor of English from 1928-1971, served as Dean of the Faculty. In 1964, the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences was created and took over all the functions of the Dean of the Faculty. Further information about this individual or organization may be available in the Special Collections Research Center Wiki: http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.
Accessed 11 July 2007; William and Mary Catalogues and Directories.