Martha Elizabeth Barksdale, a native of Redlands, Virginia, entered the College of William and Mary in 1918 as a member of the first class to include women. Barksdale worked to establish an intercollegiate sports program for women as a student and continued this work as a faculty member. After graduating, Barksdale was appointed to teach in the newly-established Department of Women's Physical Education. She received her M.A. in Physical Education from William and Mary in 1929. Barksdale lived in Williamsburg for fifty-six years and was a founder of the Williamsburg Community Council. She was also an organizer of the Williamsburg Auxiliary for Patrick Henry Hospital and helped to establish the hospital's therapy program. Further information about this individual or organization may be available in the Special Collections Research Center Wiki: [url=http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/Martha_Barksdale]http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/Martha_Barksdale[/url].