The Plan de la ville et environs de Williamsburg en Virginie, America (a 11 mai 1782, levé au pas), also known as the Frenchman's Map is a map of Williamsburg dated May 11, 1782. It was drafted by an unknown Frenchman probably stationed with Rochambeau's army. Its detail suggests perhaps a billeting map for the French army following the battle of Yorktown. It has been called the "Bible of the Restoration of Williamsburg" because of the detail of the original buildings shown. It has also been used to illustrate town planning in eighteenth century America. Relief shown by hachures.
In addition to the original map, Mss. Acc. 2013.184, the collection includes 1978 and 2011 facsimiles, Mss. Acc. 2009.002 and 2011.536 respectively. The 1978 facsimile (a second edition reprint) includes introductory text by the publishers Meriden Gravure Company and Colonial Williamsburg, Inc. The 2011 facsimile was created while the map was on loan to the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation for the exhibit "More Than Meets the Eye."
Additional information about the Frenchman's Map is available at: http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/Frenchman%27s_Map .