The academic building was named in honor of Rev. Hugh Jones, Professor of Natural Philosophy and Mathematics (1717-1721) on Charter Day, February 7, 1970. The School of Education replaced the Philosophy Department in 1976, which moved out of Jones Hall and into New Rogers Hall. During the summer of that same year, the second floor was renovated and additional offices, testing, and observation rooms were constructed for the School of Education. In June 2010, the School of Education vacated its quarters in Jones and moved to a newly constructed 113,000 sq. foot building located through the College Woods at the northwest edge of campus on Monticello Avenue.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.
Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at email@example.com or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|